Havre Daily News Sports Editor
The Havre High cross country teams made the most of their only home meet of the season. The Pony boys and girls squads each had solid performances on a picturesque fall Saturday in Havre.
The Pony girls won yet another Havre Invitational team title, scoring 37 points. Lewistown was second with a score of 56.
"I'm happy with how the girls finished," Ranes said. "I was happy with the times, considering how tough the course is."
Junior Darci Briere and senior McKayla Patterson led the Ponies, finishing second and third, respectively. Briere ran a personal best time of 19:28. She was about minute off the pace set by Lewistown's Emmylynn Bentley, who won the race with a time of 18:41. Patterson finished just behind Briere with a time of 19:37.
"I was really happy with how Darci and McKayla ran," Ranes said. "Darci got another PR and McKayla looked strong."
Jaleesa Barthel had another strong showing, finishing seventh with a time of 20:38. Ranes was impressed with her steady improvement.
"Jaleesa had another good meet," Ranes said. "She's really running well."
Havre's remaining scored runners were Meredith Hanson, who was 13th with a 21:01 and Kristine Keltgen was 15th with a 21:06.
"I would still like our four and five runners to finish a little closer to our top three runners," Ranes said. "Our pack time was 1:50. It needs to be closer to a minute."
While it was titles as usual for the Pony girls, the HHS boys narrowly missed out on their first Havre invitational team title.
The Ponies finished third behind Moose Jaw, Saskatchewn, and Browning. Moose Jaw won the title with 55 points, while Browning was second with 65. Havre ammassed a score of 68.
The Ponies were led by Marcus Campbell's seventh-place finish. Campbell had a personal best time of 16:53.1.
"I was really happy with how Marcus ran," Ranes said. "He had his best time of the year and really looked strong."
Havre had three more runners finish in the top 15 led. Andy Keim was ninth with a time of 16:59.0, while Robert Brooks was 10th with a 17:01.6. Jade Nystrom was 12th with a 17:14.2. Rounding out the Havre scoring was Jeff Hedstrom in 31st-place with a time of 18:10.9.
"I was very happy with all of our boys," Ranes said. "They all had some pretty good times. I really think if we had C.J. Leeds in the lineup, we could have beaten Browning pretty easily."
With only one meet in Havre, Ranes wanted his teams to make the most of it, and for the most part they did. They had solid performances in front of a large crowd.
"It really was a great day for crosscountry," Ranes said. "We had a great turnout from the fans, the meet went really smooth because we had a lot of people from the community volunteering. Everything went very well overall."
1. Havre 37, 2. Lewistown 56, 3. Cascade 100, 4. Glasgow 102, 5. Cut Bank 105, 6. Browning 114, 7. Harlem 189, 8. Malta 236.
Top 15 individuals
1. Emmylynn Bentley, LEW 18:41; 2. Darci Briere, HAV 19:28; 3. McKayla Patterson, HAV 19:37; 4. Kim Vox, WHS 20:06; 5. Delyssia Tromblee, CUT 20:07; 6. Alicia Cobb, CAS 20:27; 7. Jaleesa Barthel, HAV 20:38; 8. Emilee Morehouse, GLA 20:44; 9. Jordan Kennedy, CUT 20:46; 10. Kathy Running Crane, BRO 20:52; 11. Caitlin Fox, LEW 20:58; 12. Lauren Poss, LEW 21:00; 13. Meredith Hanson, HAV 21:01; 14. Sara McGurran, CAS 21:05; 15. Kristine Keltgen, HAV 21:06.
Other Havre runners:
23. Danika Patterson, HAV 21:25
25. Mandi Nystrom, HAV 21:27
1. Moose Jaw 55, 2. Browning 59, 3. Havre 68, 4. Wetaskiwin High 85, 5. Cut Bank 123, 6. Wolf Point 172, 7. Harlem 182, 8. Glasgow 202, 9. Dodson 247.
Top 15 Individuals
1. Jaden Ostapovich, WHS 15:58.5; 2. Jeremy Yellow Owl, BRO 16:05.7; 3. Josh Chow, MJH 16:19.0; 4. Dayton Longworth, MJH 16:39.2; 5. Roger Vanharen, WHS 16:51.4; 6. Ken Bird Rattler, BRO 16:51.6; 7. Marcus Campbell, HAV 16:53.1; 8. Lee Loendorf, WPH 16:57.2; 9. Andy Keim, HAV 16:59.0; 10. Robert Brooks, HAV 17:01.6; 11. Ben Jacobsen, CUT 17:05.2; 12. Jade Nystrom, HAV 17:14.2; 13. Ian McMaster, MJH 17:19.1; 14. Eric Wiebe, MJH 17:20.6; 15. Byron Meeks, CUT 17:21.9.
Other Havre runners:
31. Jeff Hedstrom, 18:10.9
34. Richard Jarvis, 18:37.5
36. Justin McLeod, 18:40.9