Congratulations to the participants in last week's competition held by the Havre Area Chamber of Commerce Tourism Committee. Committee co-chairs Gary Wilson and Keith Doll want to thank Matt Schnittgen, Susie Shepard and Amber Cox, who will be awarded items of local interest.
The answers are:
1. Who was the first white settler in Havre?
2. Who was the first justice of the peace in Havre?
3. What local cowboy had the “pothook brand?”
Long George Francis
4. What was Havre's first newspaper called?
The Havre Herald
5. What Hill County cultural tourism attraction is about 2,000 years old?
Wahkpa Chu'gn buffalo jump
6. Where was the first mechantile store in what is present-day Hill County?
Fort Assinniboine or David Cowen's store in Cypress
7. The army fought what Indian tribe at the Bear's Paw Battlefield on Snake
Creek in 1877?
8. What Hi-Line museum joined the Montana Dinosaur Trail in January 2006?
Blaine County Museum
9. What ornithopod (small plant-eating dinosaur) does the Rudyard Depot
Museum and the H. Earl Clack Museum have in common?
Hadrosaur or duck-billed
10. Where was the first saloon in present-day Hill County?
Fort Assinniboine or Cypress
11. Where can you experience a reproduction of an early-day Havre saloon?
Havre Beneath the Streets
12. What two museums in north-central Montana are in former railroad
Big Sandy Museum and Rudyard Depot Museum
13. What local education building has two floors of exhibits with flora, fauna,
fossils and North American Indian artifiacts?
Hagner Science Center
14. Wahkpa Chu'gn is an Assinniboine name for what Havre-area resource?
15. What tourist attraction does Chester, Rudyard, Havre, Chinook, Fort
Belknap and Big Sandy have in common?
What year was the Havre Area Chamber of Commerce organized?