Havre firefighters quickly extinguished an interior fire in a Havre home Monday afternoon, but not before it caused extensive damage.
“There was structural damage to the living room and several roof joists and extensive heat and smoke damage throughout the house, ” Havre Fire Chief Dave Sheppard said this morning.
The owners were not in the residence this morning and were not available for comment.
Sheppard said the owners were at work and no one was in the residence when firefighters arrived.
The Havre Fire Department received the call reporting the fire, on the 600 Block of 4th Street, at 4:15 p. m.
Sheppard said a neighbor called 911 after hearing smoke alarms going off in the residence, then seeing smoke coming out of vents in the roof.
Two engines responded, and firefighters entered the house and extinguished flames in the walls of the living room, Sheppard said.
The fire extended up through the walls into the attic, and firefighters entered the attic to extinguish the blaze there.
The fire was extinguished fairly quickly, Sheppard said. One engine was left on the scene with firefighters salvaging items and looking for hot spots.
Diane Wright of the American Red Cross said that agency had not been contacted by the family or fire department, but if anyone needs help during an emergency, they can call American Red Cross of Montana at (800) ARCMONT, (800) 272-6668.