By Tim Leeds
Hill County Sanitarian Heidi Bischoff said the test results on the remainder of the corn dogs in a food poisoning incident in Havre two weeks ago came back negative.
Bischoff said there was no contamination in the remainder of a batch of frozen corn dogs five children apparently got sick from eating, so they are now focusing on handling issues.
She said they have told the Albertson's Food and Drug Food Center in Havre to go ahead and sell the remainder of the lot of frozen corn dogs. Albertson's had voluntarily pulled the product after the incident occurred, awaiting the results of the test.
Bischoff said the problem is an isolated incident, and there is apparently no cause for concern about more contaminated products.
A local day care called the sanitarian's office March 18 after five children, all age 3 or younger, became ill after eating corn dogs prepared at the day care. One of the children was taken to the Havre clinic and was ill overnight, but the other four recuperated fairly quickly, Bischoff said in an earlier interview.
Bischoff said care in handling and preparing food, such as making sure hands and all surfaces and utensils used are properly clean, can prevent many contamination problems. She said shoppers should be sure to check expiration dates and avoid buying any expired products as well, or use them as soon as possible if they do buy expired products.