News from The Havre Advertiser on July 25, 1893, was scant for local news except that from Fort Assinniboine. A survey party was out figuring where to cut the military reservation down smaller than it was, there was an accounting of the World’s Fair, the 20th Regiment engaged in battle exercises, the mother of the wife of Captain C. E. Nordstrom of the 10th Calvary had passed away, along with this small article:
Fort Assinniboine, Mont.,
July 24, 1893.
What seems to be the delay in building the Catholic church in Havre? This question is frequently asked the writer, simply because he aided in collecting a subscription to augment the funds for that object about twelve months ago. It was generally believed at the time, that within six or seven months Havre would have a nice Catholic church, crowned with a dome and loft minaret.
Although this contemplated structure was meant to be the first church erected in Havre, the ground for it is yet unbroken, and two other edifices of equal importance (Methodist and Episcopal) have taken the lead. Good for Havre. This is not only a token of her growth and advancement, but a sure indication of her future prosperity.
Of course, the best news was in the “City and State” social pages. Here are a few entries:
Services will henceforth be held regularly in the new M. E. church.
The Methodist Church was constructed at the northeast corner of First Avenue and Third Street, where one comes into the new Post Office parking lot to the west.
Hon. C. E. Conrad, who had been spending a few days at Great Falls passed through Havre on Saturday en route to his home at Kalispell.
Charles E. Conrad and his brother, William, owned the I. G. Baker Company that supplied military forts in both the United States and Canada. He had vast holdings in both countries and was an extremely successful entrepreneur. He and his wife, Alicia Campbell, founded the city of Kalispell and built a gorgeous home in that city, designed by Kirtland Cutter, to house his family. The home, the Conrad Mansion, is open for tours.
John Billings, for disturbing the peace and “monkeying” around with his little gun was sentenced to thirty days imprisonment by Justice McNally on Saturday last.
We can direct those, who may not perhaps be in a position to afford a bath, to an address where they will be able to get a delightful cold, shower bath, free.
Chas. Pratt finished the painting of the Sam Wah restaurant in the beginning of last week and has started in upon the church which is only to have a coat of priming at present and to receive the second coat in the Fall. Mr. Pratt will probably set his staff to work on the school building this week if they are ready for him.
Mr. Fuller, the contractor who is putting up the school building let the sub-contract of bricklaying and plastering to Mr. Leinhardt, who is already busy raising the outside of the building. The heat here for the past few days was so intense that the carpenters in the more exposed position on the upper scaffolding were obliged to stretch an awning overhead for protection from the sun’s rays.
The school was the first Washington School and was located across the street to the south of the new Methodist Church. The color-enhanced postcard for this article shows both the Methodist Church and the first Washington School, as well as the back of The Castle to the left of the photograph, and the back of the first Clack home, also known as the Stone House, toward the center of the photograph. Knowing when certain buildings were constructed and when some disappeared, this postcard dates between 1903 and 1912.
The interesting advertisement for this week is of a Roberts’ High-Arm Improved Sewing Machine. It was a treadle sewing machine with a beautiful stand. Four drawers were either $19.50 for walnut or $19.70 for oak, or six drawers for $20.50 in walnut or $20.80 for oak.