Havre Daily News - News you can use

Official reminds residents of water restrictions


While the water plant working, superintendent Jeff Jensen wants to remind people that water conservation is still in effect for Havre.

The plant has been taken off line periodically while construction is done and the plant is upgraded. To conserve water during the drought, water restrictions have been put in place even while the plant is running.

Outdoor water use, defined by the city as lawn and garden watering, noncommercial car washing and filling swimming pools, is restricted to evenings and mornings only, with watering allowed on alternate days depending on the address of a home.

Houses with even-numbered addresses can use water outdoors on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, starting at 8 p.m. and running through 10 a.m. the following morning. Houses with odd-numbers can water on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, again starting at 8 p.m until 10 a.m. the following morning.

No watering is allowed on Mondays, starting at 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. Tuesday.

The Hill County Water District, which serves western Hill County from the Big Sandy Bridge outside of Havre to its border with Liberty County, also has water restrictions in place. Customers of the district are asked to restrict their outdoor water between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m.

The district imposed stiffer penalties this year if the restrictions are violated. The first violation will result in a $100 fine, the second in a $200 fine and the third violation will result in the service being disconnected. A $325 fee will be charged to reconnect the service.

The reason restrictions were imposed was to conserve water, Jensen said. Watering during the heat of the day, especially windy days, wastes a lot of the water used.

North-central Montana was recently rated as an exceptional drought area, the most severe classification for drought conditions.

For information about water conservation and effective lawn and garden care, call the Hill County Extension service at 265-5481, the city Parks and Recreation Department at 265-5781 or the Public Works Department at 265-4941.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 08/14/2020 04:15