Volunteer touches heart of community


What started as the result of a tragedy has turned into a lifetime of activity and a source of joy for Mary Surean.

Mary has spent decades volunteering with a host of local organizations.

"It all started when I lost my son. I had to have something to do," she said. "So I decided I wanted to go volunteer."

Her 3-year-old son died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a furnace leak. Mary almost died from the leak.

After she began volunteering at Sacred Heart Hospital in Havre in 1968, the head nurse asked her what she thought about helping the hospital start a candy striper and red coat program...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020