Havre Daily News - News you can use

By Tim Leeds 

Saturday fire guts Havre home

Children playing with charcoal lighter fluid sends man, toddler to hospital with minor injuries


December 16, 2013

Tim Leeds

Soot, burnt out doorways and broken windows give evidence on the 200 Block of 11th Street in Havre this morning to the damage to a mobile home caused by a devastating fire Saturday afternoon.

Children playing with charcoal lighter fluid sent two people to the hospital and destroyed a residence in the 200 Block of 11th Street in an extensive fire Saturday afternoon, the Havre fire chief said this morning.

"The mobile home, I would say, would be a total loss," Havre Fire Chief Dave Sheppard said.

Sheppard said the fire sent a 26-year-old man and a 2-year-old boy to the hospital with burns and to be checked for smoke inhalation, but the injuries were not severe.

The names of the victims of the fire had not been released as of this morning.

The third occupant, a school-aged boy whose age was not available, and the 2-year-old started the fire when they ignited charcoal lighter fluid on a couch in the mobile home, Sheppard said.

A total of 15 firefighters and emergency medical technicians responded to the call at 2:51 p.m. Saturday, some to the scene in two fire engines and an ambulance with others staffing the fire station, he said. It took about two hours to extinguish the blaze, with the last truck leaving the scene at 4:42 p.m.

The Havre Daily News contacted the American Red Cross and The Salvation Army to determine if any relief efforts were underway to help the family, but that information was not available by printing deadline this morning.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017