Havre Daily News - News you can use

Beanery by the Depot

 

February 1, 2019

Courtesy of Don Greytak

Left to Right, Robert (Jiggs) Scherer, Haston Broadus and John Garland in Beanery, Dec. 1963

By Keith J. Doll

Havre/Hill County Historic Preservation Commission

The Beanery was built in 1909 and located about 100 feet east of the new depot, also built in 1909. The former depot was wooden with clapboard siding. The new depot had dark red pressed brick and the Beanery was built of the same dark red pressed brick to match. The Sanborn Map of 1910 calls it the Railroad Lunch Counter and Restaurant. It was soon called the "Beanery" and was open 24 hours a day.

In 1905, a fire burned some of the buildings on property owned by Simon Pepin that were close to the depot. Simon Pepin donate...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.



 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 08/19/2019 05:42