Bear spray – carry it, know how to use it
Last updated 9/24/2020 at 9:59am
By Fish, Wildlife and Parks
The Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee recommends the use of bear spray and urges hunters to learn other bear-aware safety measures.
Hunters in bear country need to:
• stay alert and look for bear sign
• carry bear spray and know how to use it,
• hunt with a partner, leave detailed plans with someone and check-in periodically,
• pay attention to fresh bear sign. Look for bear tracks, scat, and concentrations of natural foods,
• use caution when hunting areas that have evidence of bear activity or areas with scavenging birds such as magpies, raven...