Loads of Havre events set for the weekend
Last updated 6/3/2022 at 2:49pm
Today through Sunday, the first weekend into the unofficial start of summer after Memorial Day weekend, the Havre area will be hopping with activities for everyone to enjoy.
A full write-up on the Bear Paw Marathon activities is on today’s Page A8, but beyond the race activities, the North Central Montana Everything Antique Show started at 10 this morning and will continue until 5 p.m. tonight.
The Everything Antique Show will continue Saturday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at the Great Northern Fairgrounds, with free admission for everyone over the three days. The 4-H Chuckwagon will be open and serving concessions throughout the weekend.
The 15th year for this event, the 2022 show will feature Twin City/M. Moline John Deere engines, as well as classic and antique cars, stationary and model engines, and antique tractors, farm equipment and housewares. And in the tradition of Living History, people will be on hand to talk about, demonstrate and operate these items, with activities getting rolling, literally Saturday and Sunday.
The Rolling Relics Parade will be 1 p.m. both days, the Tractor Games at 2 p.m. and a Hay Press Demonstration at 3 p.m. The Tractor Games will include a slow race, chain in the box and a blindfolded barrel race.
Living History Day Saturday will also include special activities and prices at participating local historical sites.
Havre Beneath the Streets, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. will offer a reduced rate for visitors to experience Havre’s early history with re-enactments bringing the underground businesses to life. Tasty treats will also be on offer with pastry in Gourley Brothers Bakery, sausage, ice cream and soda samples in the Meat Market and Boone’s Drug Store.
Reservations for individuals and groups are recommended by calling 406-265-8888.
Pacific Junction Railway Club will also have a special train run in the Frank DeRosa Railroad Museum that visitors can view for free at the museum, which is housed within the Beneath the Streets office space.
Fort Assinniboine will have Bullhook Bottoms Blackpowder Club members and other volunteers on hand to display and explain period firearms, furs and accouterment of the era.
The day will also include guided tours of the fort on the Black Jack Touring wagon — named after Gen. John “Black Jack” Pershing who was, for a time, stationed at the fort — throughout the day along with regular firings of the Blackpowder Club’s cannon.
The H. Earl Clack Memorial Museum will not be participating in Living History this year as the museum, personnel and volunteers transition the museum contents to their new location at 2 Fifth Ave.
Wahkpa Chu’gn Buffalo Jump, though, will be open during its regular summer hours, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., with the last hour-long tour leaving at 3 p.m. This bison kill site offers a glimpse into the Native American lifestyle of thousands of years ago, but it also demonstrates the process by which anthropologists discover historic treasures buried beneath the earth’s surface.
Saturday is also set to include the Air Fair 2022 fly-in breakfast at the airport and the Art Alley Spring Celebration in downtown Havre.
See a story on the Air Fair on today’s Page 1 and a story on the Spring Celebration in Wednesday’s edition of Havre Daily News.
Friday, June 3
• North Central Montana Everything Antique Show, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Great Northern Fairgrounds, 1676 U.S. Highway 2 W.
• Race, Pub Crawl & Volunteer Packet Pick-up, noon to 9 p.m., Holiday Village Mall, 1753 U.S. Highway 2 W.
• Bear Paw Marathon Pub Crawl, noon-closing, 16 participating taverns
• Carb-loading Spaghetti Feed, 5-8 p.m. Havre Eagles Club, 202 First St.
Saturday, June 4
• Marathon bus pick-up, 4:45 a.m., MSU-Northern Armory Gym, 300 13th St. W.
• Bear Paw Marathon race start 6 a.m., Sucker Creek
• Half-marathon bus pick-up, 6 a.m., MSU-Northern Armory
• Half-marathon race start, 7 a.m., Beaver Creek Reservoir
• 5K fun run/walk bus pick-up, 8:15 a.m., MSU-Northern Armory
• 5K fun run/walk, 9 a.m. Butte Road.
• Air Fair 2022, 7 a.m. to noon(ish), Havre City-County Airport
• Finish line festivities, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., MSU-Northern Football Field, 300 13th St. W.
• Living History Day, tours, re-enactments and demonstrations
• Everything Antique Show, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., fairgrounds
• Havre Beneath the Streets, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., 120 Third Ave.
• Wahkpa Chu’gn Buffalo Jump, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., North parking lot, Holiday Village Mall
• Fort Assinniboine 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., 6 miles S. of Havre, off U.S. Highway 87
• Art Alley Spring Celebration, 2-7 p.m., 200 Block between Fourth and Third aves.
• Bear Paw Pub Crawl Continued, regular hours, participating taverns
Sunday, June 5
• Everything Antique Show, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., fairgrounds.