Fixing the Cattle Price and Transparency Act


Last updated 9/1/2023 at 11:44am

After years of depressed prices, we ranchers and cattle feeders are desperate for Congress to do something — do anything! It was in this context that the 50/14 concept was conceived. When the “negotiated spot market” for fat cattle got down to less than 20% of the total, it became a problem that obviously needed correction. Particularly since the prices derived in this very thin market are used by the packer cartel to buy the remaining 80% of cattle — the “captive supply.” Clearly, the cattle industry has a corrupt price discovery mechanism.

The idea is that if beef packers are...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Reader Comments(0)


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2023

Rendered 09/29/2023 09:33