Havre Daily News - News you can use

By Alex Ross 

New Year's fire destroys Rocky Boy home

Family looking for help recovering from losing everything


Last updated 1/5/2018 at 3:53pm

Havre Daily News/Ryan Welch

Dwight Sunchild points toward his empty, boarded-up house on Rocky Boy's Indian Reservation. The house caught fire New Year's Day. The severe cold that swept the region had caused the houses pipe's to freeze and Sunchild was using space heaters to thaw them when the house caught fire.

Dwight Sunchild and his family are in need of help after their house caught fire New Year's Day.

The fire at the residence in Prairie View Village on Rocky Boy's Indian Reservation near Box Elder was caused by three space heaters used to thaw frozen pipes. The heaters were left turned on and unattended in the master bedroom.

Nobody was hurt, Sunchild said.

"I thank God that my family got out safely," he said.

Sunchild said that he, his girlfriend, LaRae Ameline, and three children, who lived in the house, were in the living room when they noticed smoke rising from beneath the door a...

For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020