Havre Daily News - News you can use

Celebrating History: Troops returning home


March 22, 2019

By Emily Mayer

With the war over, more troops were coming home. This happy news was found in the pages of The Havre Plaindealer’s March 22, 1919 edition.


Sons of Well Known Citizens are Returning From Service Abroad

John M. Kay, the local undertaker, has received word that his son John M. Jr., has landed in New York and with him are five other Havre boys returning from service overseas. The other boys are: Claude Darnell, son of Andy Darnell; John Diamond, son of R. C. Diamond; Bryan Barrickman; Eugene O’Neil, son of Dan O’Neil and B. L. Marks. It is not known how soon any of them will be able to return to this city or just when they may expect their discharge.

When they returned, they would have an organization specifically formed for them.


At a meeting of returned soldiers held in the city hall Tuesday a temporary organization was effected and later a permanent organization will be effected. Dr. Ward was made temporary president and H. C. Hall temporary secretary. There were about 1200 men entered the service from this county so that the local body will be one of the strongest in the state. The matter of affiliation with the World War Veterans will be taken up.

One veteran had already returned and was back at work.


Bob Lucke Returning From Service in Marines is Back in Store

The Lou Lucke force was augmented Monday morning by the return of Bob Lucke who arrived Sunday from Paris Island where he was mustered out of the U. S. Marines February 28th after he had completed training.

Prior to his enlistment in the marine service Bob was engaged in war welfare work attached as secretary to the Knights of Columbus organization stationed at Camp Funston, Texas, the largest camp in the United States containing 60,000 me, and his account of this work is convincing that the Knights of Columbus organization was an essential factor in sustaining the morale and preserving the morals of the forces in camp and combat, and will always be remembered as fearless in rendering service whatever the hazard, fair in all matters concerning the boys, other welfare organizations and the public and free with everything, both goods and the untiring service of its workers.

Enroute to Havre from Paris Island Mr. Lucke took occasion to visit several of the eastern cities and being still in uniform he was everywhere treated with the greatest cordiality by the Red Cross, Knights of Columbus and other war activity organizations which he visited. In the basement of the Flat Iron building on the busiest corner in New York a hut has been provided by the Knights of Columbus for the convenience and accommodation of soldiers passing through the city. In this spacious hut the soldier in uniform may have lodging, bath, towels, soap, reading room, writing room, music room and stationery and “Everything free and everybody welcome.”

The war’s after-effects were still making their way through American society. The state high school basketball tournament to be held in Bozeman had been postponed due to the Spanish flu outbreak still raging through that city.

News of great agricultural crops was also making news. Daylight “savings” time was set for March 30 and is still one of the dumbest laws still on the books today.

Yellowstone County led the state in buying war savings stamps at $9,401.68. Hill County had contributed $1,323.59 so far. However, Hill County blew every other county out of the water in federal aid loans. The loans numbered 1,244 for Hill County; the closest was Valley County to the east with 757 loans. The number of acres affected totaled 99,935 in Hill County with the next highest again being in Valley County with 49,776.

In other local news, it was proven justice could be swift in Hill County.


J. V. Grant whose occupation is given as railroader was sentenced Thursday by Judge Rhoades to serve not less than three years nor more than six in the penitentiary at Deer Lodge. His age was given as 37 years.

Thursday morning he was caught in the act of taking a suitcase from a truck at the Great Northern station. He was brought direct before the court and waiving time for pleading immediately confessed his guilt and waived time for sentence, which was at once passed by the court. The case which he was convicted of taking was filled with women’s apparel to the value of approximately $175 it was estimated.

L. E. Tennyson who was brought back from Seattle last week by Sheriff McLain is in jail facing a charge of wife desertion.


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 06/30/2019 19:31